Opportunity Knocks held its annual business meeting on September 19th and reviewed the following accomplishments over the past year. Overall, I'd characterize 2013 as a "building year." We cleaned-up several mistakes of the past and set the organization on a more solid foundation from which we are ready to move forward. I believe that through the efforts of our professional staff, our dedicated volunteer facilitators, and leadership provided by your board of directors, the future Opportunity Knocks looks bright indeed!
2012-13 Significant Accomplishments:
- During a strategic planning session, last October, we defined our "service" as "actionable business advice and support" that each member receives from their team, serving as each other's board of advisors.
- We created the position of Facilitator Relations Director and brought Susie Stevens back into the organization. Three years ago, we had no paid staff, now we have three highly qualified professionals.
- We hired a new office manager, Karen Cameron, who has made a significant progress in getting our administrative house in order, including correcting a past-due receivables problem.
- Eric Meade, our Membership Director, has brought 77 new members into Opportunity Knocks through August. We have 243 members currently.
- Susie Stevens has recruited and placed 16 new qualified and properly trained facilitators since January. That takes us to 49 volunteer facilitators.
- Improvements have been made to the Opportunity Knocks website, making it more functional and user friendly for members paying dues.
- Three hugely productive Facilitator Training Meetings were held last April, with three more meetings planned for this fall.
- We conducted a member survey last spring that yielded many ideas for us to improve our services.
- Some areas that we are still struggling with include: a high member attrition rate of 26%, a sometimes confusing marketing message, and determining the correct member-value equation to retain members long-term